If you want to integrate Parse.ly content analytics into your WordPress website without any extra integration work, you can use wp-parsely. The wp-parsely plugin automatically injects the Parse.ly content analytics tracker and metadata into your website’s pages. You can also customize your integration easily in the plugin’s settings page.
Installation steps differ depending on your setup, so please pick the one that applies to your case.
WordPress VIP customers: Enable the plugin by using an
mu-plugins filter. To learn more about how to do this, please consult our WordPress VIP documentation.
WordPress.com customers: Please contact wordpress.com support to ask for help activating of the plugin for your website.
For all other cases (regular WordPress installations):
- Visit the “Plugins” page in your WordPress dashboard and click “Add New” at the top of the page.
- Search for “Parse.ly” using the search bar on the right side. The wp-parsely plugin should appear in the search results.
- Click “Install Now” to install the plugin.
- After installation is completed, click the “Activate” button to activate the plugin.
Required configuration: Site ID
Now that wp-parsely is installed and activated, complete the initial configuration for it to work.
- Navigate to the Parse.ly settings page in the WordPress dashboard (under the “Settings” menu).
- Required: Fill your Parse.ly Site ID. The plugin will not work without a valid Site ID. You can find your Site ID in the Parse.ly Dashboard under the “API Settings” menu item.
Under the “Settings” menu on the Parse.ly settings page, you will see the following fields as part of Basic Settings.
- Parse.ly API Secret (optional). The Parse.ly API Secret is optional and only available to customers who have purchased the Parse.ly content analytics API. You will need the Parse.ly API Secret If you plan on using the Content Helper. If you have purchased the API, you can find your API Secret in the Parse.ly Dashboard under the “API Settings” menu item. If you have not purchased the API and would like to do so, email your account manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parse.ly Metadata Secret (optional). This is a key given to you by Parse.ly support. Do not input any data in this field unless instructed to do so by the Parse.ly support team.
- Metadata Format: Select a metadata format. We recommend JSON-LD, as this is used by most publishers.
- Logo: If you have a logo you want to add, you can specify your logo’s URL by using the Browse button to the right of the Logo setting.
- Track Logged-In Users: Select whether or not you want to track logged-in users. By logged-in users we mean people on your team who are creating content from within WordPress.
- Go to the bottom of the page and click the “Save Changes” button.
Please configure any additional options as instructed by Parse.ly support. You can access the additional settings using the
Last updated: August 16, 2023